Thursday, November 23, 2006

Luky Says Thanksgiving Is The SETI Holiday

He's been concentrating on the recent spate of Sci-Fi TV fare . . . Heroes, Threshold, Dead Like Me. Luky says they are often not all that well written, but the average Sci-Fi premise keeps increasing in intelligence.

According to Luky, Threshold is another alien invasion theme, but it has a more intelligent rationale behind it. I think he means that it is simply less predictable than the normal body-snatcher scenario. I may not share his enthusiasm for discovering E.T. - yes, I'm into it, but Luky is ready to volunteer for the Allen Array team - but I understand his appreciation for this Threshold premise.

I asked him why he thinks the Allen Telescope Array should be hiring him. My goal was to inspire our sidetrack conversation on the spectral variations of astronomy and E.T.-related topics, and thus away from the family and personal emotion-type stuff that this day normally evokes. Luky's answer was quick and to the point.

"There is no human currently in that program who can possibly do the day-to-day sniffing of which I'm capable."

"I don't think their perusal of computer screens and celestial signal reports translates to the sort of 'sniffing' you have in mind right now - even if an ATA engineer occasionally uses that term to refer to his job."

"Sniffing is sniffing," Luky responded, "no matter the particular task nuances, no human can perform it as well as a Malamute."

"Well, I'm not going to worry about losing you in a Berkeley HR interview."

"You have to get caught up with the times," he said. "I already have my site registration and I'm helping virtually - from here."

"What?"

"Sure. Go check it out (http://log.atarray.org/). I'll log in under my personal account later and give you the latest update."

"Oh my Gort, you're going to get us in trouble one of these days!"

"Just relax," he started speaking very calmly as if he were beginning a prepared monologue, "Thanksgiving is the SETI holiday . . . the team will be happy to see that virtual teammates are checking in today."

"The SETI holiday?" I asked.

"Of course! You don't think those original North American natives thought the whole bunch of ocean-crossing invaders were indigenous to the planet, do you? Those pilgrims were the first E.T. invaders as far as they were concerned. Amazing, isn't it?"

"What?"

"That after 385 years of celebrating the bounty of new worlds with newcomers, my Wolf kin are still looking for intelligent life outside our pack!"

I knew there was an insult buried in there somewhere, but I figured finding it would cost me my appetite.

Luky says Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home