Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Fragility Of Time-Changing

Luky is quite comfortable with the relativity of time - that is, the Einsteinian relativity of time from the perspective of the observer, particularly when the observer is moving at speeds approaching that of light.

On the other hand, oddly, he has almost no concept of relativity when it comes to clocks. We change our clocks in compliance with daylight savings by an hour twice each year and it throws him into another dimension completely! (Recent changes in energy law have incorporated adjustments in DST, adding four weeks - two more on each end of the DST "season" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005.)

Sure, Luky writes and dictates all these amazingly deep thoughts - God, truth, love, justice - and then when the rubber meets the road (or, perhaps more appropriately, when the "hands meet the face") he just can't handle the Sunday after the one-hour change. For the next week he wants breakfast at by 4:00 a.m. and dinner before 3:30 in the afternoon. And believe me, he's all a-fluster if breakfast and dinner are an hour late!

"Relativity - I mean the relativity of clocks," I told him, "should be a lot easier for you to grasp . . . you, brilliant wolfen philosopher." I was speaking a bit more effusively than normal in deference to his obvious sensitivity to being clock-time dyslexic.

"I don't know why I don't get it," he said pitifully. "You mean when it's five o'clock, it's really four o'clock?"

"Well, it is for now - then, next Spring it will turn back, and four o'clock will be five o'clock." I said that as kindly and gently as I could, but apparently I just couldn't convey the calm and comfort I intended - especially given Luky's deductive aptitude.

"Oh God," he pronounced, "you mean that five o'clock will come and I will have missed breakfast and dinner altogether!?!"

Man, it was all I could do to keep from gloating. The shoe (claw) was on the other foot (paw) as it were. Normally he has ME at the intelligence disadvantage . . . but I just couldn't take the shot!

"Trust me, Buddy, I will never let you miss a meal!"

He looked at me as if I had opened the heavens and uncovered all the kibble in the universe - just for him. It made me smile - because, well, if I could I would!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home