Sunday, October 01, 2006

Teamwork Is Self-Destructive

Luky has many theories about a wide range of things - some are very scientific and/or mathematical, some are social or political, and still others are aesthetic - but, of course, they are all highly philosophical! Most of his theories he shares openly, but I've learned that he prefers to keep some of his theories to himself. Regarding these closely held concepts, he simply tends not to volunteer information or introduce the topic for debate; but recently, and quite by accident, I discovered one of his private theories. I guess it fits into the category of sociology, and has to do with mankind's overall success on the planet.

Of course, Luky thinks that all humans fall short of Wolves when it comes to philosophical acuity, but the other day I accidentally gave him reason to describe his views of our naturally antithetical manner which he apparently considers well nigh to self-destructive. We were walking the territory - which is completely surrounded these days by rampant construction and midtown improvement projects - and I found myself attempting to mask my disgust at the noise and dust with some euphemistic spin regarding the ubiquitous traffic snarls, communication interruptions, utility disconnects, and so on. I simply commented that my species certainly is quite creative and productive - you know, skyscrapers, cities, transportation systems, airplanes, space exploration, the fine arts, the pushing of boundaries toward a better understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe, of life, etc. Luky was casually sniffing through the BellSouth hedges and looked up.

"It's a miracle," he said.

"Well, it's pretty amazing, but I'm not sure it's miraculous," I answered, somewhat startled that he was even paying attention.

"No," he responded quickly, "it's a miracle. It's a miracle that you survive to accomplish it."

I can always tell when his sniffs and snorts turn sarcastic, so while I was not sure where he was headed with this train of thought, I knew he had something all too clever in mind! He started blithely scenting the next row of bushes, but his head wagging strut was a clear signal he wanted to elaborate and expected me to ask for his opinion. At these times it hardly matters what I think, I have to play along . . . if only to find out if he might actually have a new lesson he has not shared previously. It's very difficult to have an intellectual snob for a pet sometimes!

"Yes, I suppose some of these jobs are very dangerous," I replied.

"I don't mean dangerous jobs," he said, completely taking the bait. "I'm talking about your inability to work as a team while you do teamwork things."

"I hate to admit it, but I'm lost." This time I wasn't pretending.

"Ninety percent of your - and by 'your' I mean mankind's . . ." Luky doesn't have to explain his use of 'your' but he sometimes tends to treat me like a total idiot. "Ninety percent of your progress is due to humans working together, and yet when humans work together they tend to vie with each other for attention within the group. You've lost your ability to work as a pack and to test and respect pack hierarchies the way we Wolves do. The result is when humans work in groups there's almost always one or more individuals who weaken or destroy the progress and achievements of the group by their attempts to undermine or discredit the work of other individuals. In their greed or attempt to appear as commendable team members they will harm the general team's efforts."

"That's a pretty loose and nebulous concept. Do you have any specific examples?"

"Well, there's your music industry."

"I'm sorry . . . the music industry?"

"Yes, we Wolves comment on it all the time. It is rife with individuals, or small groups of individuals, who literally attack other individuals in an effort to appear more vital, influential and necessary. And in the end, their actions only serve to undermine the fabric of the industry itself."

"Why aren't any negative effects simply attributable to aesthetic choice on the part of consumers, or perhaps the differences in basic business acumen between one entity and another?"

"Well, that's probably true in some cases, but your music industry is among the best examples of an environment where the ever-dwindling prospects for growth are constantly undermined by the legal attacks and entanglements perpetrated by individuals and small groups in their short-term and short-sighted exploitation of archaic laws."

"Damn," I exclaimed, "I had no idea you had such strong feelings on this topic."

"No, not really strong feelings. It's just become a frequent Lupine joke."

"A Lupine joke?"

"Well, after all, that example describes an industry wherein humans work to destroy each other while generally attempting to monetize your own poor efforts to howl like Wolves."

I was about to vehemently argue Luky's reference when, at that very moment, the sounds of midtown construction were drowned out by thumping and screaming noises from a passing compact car. The driver must have replaced back seats with speakers, and I couldn't tell if it was Hip-Hop or Heavy Metal. Regardless, all energy was drained from my planned response and it was no use arguing further. Luky was just smiling at me from between the blooms of two Fall Azaleas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home