Sunday, October 08, 2006

Luky's Class Would Appeal To Dora

Well, I did my normal eight and a half miler with long-time philosophy and Meaning-Of-Life buddy, JC, Saturday morning, and I spent the next 24 hours downing Alka Seltzer and Advil. Luky has been giggling at me the whole time.

The one moment of ego gratification came when JC and I were passed by a cyclist, Dora. She stopped and turned to wait for us. As we ran up she called out, "So this must be your philosophical friend, Herb" . . . by the way, the whole pack calls me "Herb."

It turns out that Dora took one of JC's Evening At Emory (http://www.cll.emory.edu/eate/index.cfm) classes. JC has taught courses on various topics including "The Meaning Of Life," "Bob Dylan," and an all-time Emory favorite, "Meeting Of The Minds," (http://www.cll.emory.edu/classes.cfm?cla=-1395494079), which he teaches with a partner, Patti Wood. Apparently, it was in a recent Meaning Of Life class where Dora heard reference to our Saturday morning, decibel-pushing, full-contact and highly aerobic philosophical discussions, during which JC and I disregard the quiet of the forest trail and attack the important topics of life - Meaning, Purpose, God, Free Will, Ethics, Society, Atheism - at the top of our lungs.

I know that Luky is secretly proud of me . . . not for my effort to stay fit, but rather for my continual effort to get to the bottom of things, in spite of whatever toll it may take on my muscles and oxygen uptake.

He was also thoroughly amused by the Dora story, but insists that she would find his teachings more intriguing that either mine or JC's. Luky has given up instruction and now reserves himself to only a few graduate students, one-on-one, so I couldn't help but ask what he meant by his teaching reference. He made some comment about her seeking "a good class" and I could tell we were headed into a horrible pun, so I did not respond. Still, he's probably right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home