Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Truth & Advertising?

Luky's thoughts were pretty heavy yesterday. I guess that was my fault. I had the Supreme Court on my mind and kept bugging him for his opinion. As usual, his interpretation was that we humans are going to select people, places, directions, positions, and so on, regardless of whether they are true or verifiable. And when truth and verifiability are completely out of reach we are likely to create justifications for them anyway.

It's frustrating talking to him sometimes. It's all about truth . . . and when truth cannot to be determined he still opts for truth by admitting that such-and-such is his opinion, but "he doesn't know if it's true." There's no use arguing with him about it. He always wins because he never really tries to get me to believe something that can't be proved.

"What fun is that?" I ask. "Most of the wars, barroom brawls, mayhem and nonsense in the world is based on ME trying to get YOU to believe something which I can't prove."

He just doesn't bite! "If it can't proved," he says, "that doesn't mean it's not true - it just means you can't know it to be true. So argue whatever you want, but unless you enjoy being a deceiver, or maybe a liar - which only means you have reason to suspect other than you speak - you simply have to admit it when you are arguing something as fact for which you actually have no proof."

Damn - I hate it when he makes so much sense . . . especially since I make my living from advertising!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home